Disasters: Is your family prepared?
Families may become separated during the chaos of a disaster, especially when evacuation is required. It is important to plan for your family’s safety.
Safety tips for families
Review these recommendations in case your family is ever impacted by a disaster.
- Know where your children are at all times.
- Stay together.
- Take photos of your children with you when evacuated.
- Give your children identification information to carry with them, including his or her name, date of birth, address, phone numbers, etc. If your child is too young or otherwise unable to speak for themselves, consider writing their name, date of birth, parents’ names and phone numbers somewhere on his or her body in indelible marker.
- Email digital photos of all family members to extended family members and/or friends.
- Photocopy important documents and mail to a friend/relative in a safe location.
- Make a plan with your children, so they know what to do if your family becomes separated during an evacuation. Remind them of adults they can go to for help, such as a uniformed law enforcement officer or person with a nametag.